What does my entry fee include?
- Event technical T-shirt
- Race medal upon completion
- Use of kayaks, paddles and buoyancy aids
- Use of individual electronic timing chips
- Post-event food
- Fully marked route with marshals at key points
- Safety cover
Please note t-shirts are ordered 4 weeks in advance of the race. Entries after this may have to have t-shirt posted out.
What are the locations of registration, the start line and finish line?
The location for registration, the start line and finsih are at Killary Adventure Centre, Leenane, Co Galway.
What is the mandatory kit for Gaelforce Connemara?
As it is an adventure race there are parts of the course that are off road so it may take a while for medical aid to reach you. The following is the mandatory kit required:
- Survival blanket and whistle
- Windproof/waterproof top
- Cycle helmet (can be left with your bike at transition area)
- Basic bike repair kit
PLEASE NOTE THAT CARRYING THIS MANDATORY KIT FROM THE START IS FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY.
Although the following is not mandatory kit, it is recommended:
- Suitable cycling shoes and gloves
- Sturdy walking/running shoes
- Waterproof leggings
- Course map
- Energy food and drink. Water is provided for refilling vessels at transition points. We do not give out water bottles along the route.
What facilities are at the finish line?
We will be providing the following at the finish line: finisher food, water, fruit, tea & coffee.
What type of bike should I use for Gaelforce Connemara?
The cycling section of Gaelforce Connemara covers two types of terrain: the first is forestry roads, these are rough wide tracks through the forest, the second section of the route covers sealed main roads.
Which type of bike you choose to use is a personal choice. But here is some advice.
- Hybrid - suitable
- Mountain bike - you can put slick tyres on to increase speed on road
- Cycle cross - Good for both terrains
- A racer/road bike can be used but you do have a higher risk of puncture - better to use gatorskin tyres.
Can I use aerobars on my bike?
No, aerobars are not allowed and need to be taken off for the event.
Can I hire a bike for the event?
Please note that Gaelforce Events does NOT operate any bike hire for this event. However we do recommend our partners Connemara Adventure Tours (email them at email@example.com) to check their availability. Please note that they don't rent racing bikes, but Lapierre Sit and Go.
What does the bike transfer include?
You can chose this service when you entered online or on the day. At race day it means that you can drop your bike off with us at registration and we will move your bike to the bike transition (approx. 2km from Killary Adventure Centre) point for you. Alternatively you can cycle your bike yourself to the transition point.
If you avail of the bike transfer you will need to sign a bike transfer disclaimer form on the day at registration.
What running shoes should I wear?
Trail runners would be ideal for this event as apart from the first 4km the rest of the route is on trail and hill.
Trail runners are not mandatory, so any running shoe you are comfortable running in will be absolutely fine.
Note: Standard runners may be slippy on the down hill section of the run so extra care will need to be taken.
Are there any timeouts along the course?
The only timeout is as you reach the kayak section as there may be a short wait time for kayaks.
Where are the best spectator points for GAELFORCE CONNEMARA?
Here are the best locations to view the event from:
- Start/finish line at Killary Adventure Centre - please note that there will be no parking at Killary Adventure Centre on race day.
- Cycle section - Creeragh Church (Stop and Pray church) on the N59
- Kayak section - you will be able to see the kayakers on the fjord from along the road or take a cruise on Killary cruises.
What happens if I cancel my event entry?
All entry fees are non-refundable and non-transferable, this includes transfers to other years, events or people. Please do make sure that you can commit to both the event and the training before you enter one of our events.
Can I change my wave?
We cannot facilitate any wave changes after you have entered an event. Please be sure to sign up for your prefered wave when entering an event. If you preferred wave is not listed online, it is sold-out and we cannot add anyone to sold-out waves.