IMPORTANT: Please note the following before you decide to enter the 22km Expert or 13km Intermediate Events:
- These are events for experienced mountain runners only, ie those who take part in mountain runs on a regular basis.
- The area where the race takes place is remote, the terrain is difficult - wet, boggy, slippy and very steep in places - and the weather patterns are very changeable.
- It is not suitable for those who, while fit, are used to running on roads and tracks only - we offer the 12km Introductory Event as an introduction to mountain running.
- Due to the length of the course and the shorter daylight hours this event cannot be walked, it must be done at a jogging/running pace.
- If you are not sure that this event is suitable for you then it probably is not.
- There is a strict cut off time of 4 hours (1pm) at the bottom of the final ascent. If you miss this cut off you must follow the short route home.
Entry requirements for the 12km Introductory Mountain Run:
While you do not need to have mountain running experience you do need to have a moderate level of fitness to allow you to cover the distance running. You will be running off-road on bog and uneven terrain and the weather could be challenging so you should take this into account before entering the race.
Saying that it is the perfect race to help you transition from road running to mountain running.
Mandatory kit to be carried throughout each event. It will be checked beforehand and you will not be allowed to start without it:
- VERY IMPORTANT: Trail running shoes must be worn. These must be shoes with an aggressive thread. Large parts of the route have no trail, only soft ground. Anyone wearing road runners will not be allowed to start the race.
- Hooded waterproof jacket must be carried with you regardless of the weather. The weather in the mountains is changeable so this item is essential
- Light micro-fleece or heavy thermal layer
- Headwear of some description, eg. woolly hat or buff
- Whistle to attract attention in an emergency
- Space blanket
- Bottle that can carry minimum 200ml of water
- Food, particularly to provide you with fuel in an emergency (minimum of Mars bar or natural food bar)
- Mobile phone that has the Race Director's and emergency numbers pre-saved into it plus enough battery to last your estimated race time
If you have any questions on any of the above please do not hesitate to contact us before registering and we will do our best to advise you.