What does my entry fee include?
- Event technical T-shirt
- Race medal upon completion
- Use of kayaks, paddles and buoyancy aids
- Use of individual electronic timing chips
- Post-event food from John West!
Please note t-shirts are ordered 4 weeks in advance of the race. Entries after this may have to have t-shirt posted out.
Where are the best spectator points for GAELFORCE NORTH?
SPECTATORS ARE VERY WELCOME AT GAELFORCE NORTH AND YOUR SUPPORT WILL BE MUCH APPRECIATED BY THE COMPETITORS.
The best locations to spectate from are as follows:
- Bike transition for the sprint race at Glenveagh National Park car park
- Bike transition for full and sprint courses at the base of Mount Errigal
- The finish line at the beach at CLG Ghaoth Dobhair
It is not possible to spectate at the start line as access here is very restricted.
What are the locations of registration, the start line and the finish line for Gaelforce North?
Registration takes place at Glenswilly GAA club just outside Letterkenny. The bike drops are located at Glebe Gallery/Gartan Lake (full race) and at Glenveagh National Park (sprint race).
Have a look at the course map for the start line location. We do advise anyone getting dropped to the start line that it is an extremely narrow road for accessing and that whoever is dropping you there must continue on. There is no parking at the start line and we would ask drivers not to turn back the way they came. If you have chosen the bus option on entering you will be brought to the start line from Bunbeg by bus.
The finish line for both races is at the CLG Ghaoth Dobhair.
What is the mandatory kit for Gaelforce NorthWhat is the mandatory kit for Gaelforce North?
As it is an adventure race there are parts of the course that are off road so it may take a while for medical aid to reach you. The following is the mandatory kit required:
- Survival blanket and whistle
- Windproof/waterproof top
- Cycle helmet (can be left with your bike at transition area)
- Puncture repair kit
PLEASE NOTE THAT CARRYING THIS MANDATORY KIT FROM THE START IS FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY.
Although the following is not mandatory kit, it is recommended:
- Suitable cycling shoes and gloves
- Sturdy walking/running shoes
- Waterproof leggings
- Course map
- Energy food and drink. Water is provided for refilling vessels at transition points. We do not give out water bottles along the route.
What facilities are at the finish line?
We will be providing the following at the finish line: homemade soup, water, fruit, tea & coffee. John West will be giving out complementary Natural Protein products to refuel after the race.
How do I get my bike to the bike transition?
You have the following options to choose from:
- Drop your bike to your selected bike drop off point either at Gartan Lake or in Glenveigh National Park. Both will be signposted from Glenswilly GAA Club.
- BIKE TRANSFER SERVICE: We will transfer your bike to the bike drop locations for you from registration at Glenswilly GAA Club for the extra charge of €15 per bike. You can book this online when registering for the race or if you change your mind later and wish to add it on just give us a call and if we still have availability we will add it on for you.
What type of bike should I use for GFN?
Since 2018 the cycle route is all on sealed tarred roads and is best suited to a road bike. However, if this is your first time then use whatever bike you have or whatever bike you are most comfortable with.
- You can use a mountain bike, a hybrid or a cyclocross but our recommendation is a road bike.
- Make sure that you know how to change a tyre and have a bike repair kit and spare tubes with you.
- You can only use one bike for the cycle. If you are found to change bike during the event you will be disqualified.
Can I enter a group or relay team into Gaelforce North?
There is a relay option for this event. Information on Relay Teams can be found by clicking the below button.
Alternatively, if you are a group of friends who wish to race together you can do this by ensuring you all enter the same category/wave.