What does my entry fee include?
- Event technical T-shirt
- Race medal upon completion
- Use of kayaks, paddles and buoyancy aids
- Use of individual electronic timing chips
- Post-event food from John West!
Please note t-shirts are ordered 4 weeks in advance of the race. Entries after this may have to have t-shirt posted out.
What are the locations of registration, the start line and finish line?
The location for registration, the start line and finsih are at Killary Adventure Centre, Leenane, Co Galway.
What is the mandatory kit for Gaelforce Connemara?
As it is an adventure race there are parts of the course that are off road so it may take a while for medical aid to reach you. The following is the mandatory kit required:
- Survival blanket and whistle
- Windproof/waterproof top
- Cycle helmet (can be left with your bike at transition area)
- Basic bike repair kit
PLEASE NOTE THAT CARRYING THIS MANDATORY KIT FROM THE START IS FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY.
Although the following is not mandatory kit, it is recommended:
- Suitable cycling shoes and gloves
- Sturdy walking/running shoes
- Waterproof leggings
- Course map
- Energy food and drink. Water is provided for refilling vessels at transition points. We do not give out water bottles along the route.
What facilities are at the finish line?
We will be providing the following at the finish line: finisher food, water, fruit, tea & coffee. John West will be giving out complementary Natural Protein products to refuel after the race.
What type of bike should I use for Gaelforce Connemara?
The cycling section of Gaelforce Connemara covers two types of terrain: the first is forestry roads, these are rough wide tracks through the forest, the second section of the route covers sealed main roads.
Which type of bike you choose to use is a personal choice. But here is some advice.
- Hybrid - suitable
- Mountain bike - you can put slick tyres on to increase speed on road
- Cycle cross - Good for both terrains
- A racer/road bike can be used but you do have a higher risk of puncture - better to use gatorskin tyres.
Are there any timeouts along the course?
The only timeout is as you reach the kayak section as there may be a short wait time for kayaks.
Where are the best spectator points for GAELFORCE CONNEMARA?
Here are the best locations to view the event from:
- Start/finish line at Killary Adventure Centre - please note that there will be no parking at Killary Adventure Centre on race day.
- Cycle section - Creeragh Church (Stop and Pray church) on the N59
- Kayak section - you will be able to see the kayakers on the fjord from along the road or take a cruise on Killary cruises.
- Running section - if you park at Killary Cruises you can watch the runners as they run along the road after the kayak section.